Food on Cruise Control
Hi everyone! You may have noticed that there was no new blog last week. That’s because I was cruising with my husband and his family around the Eastern Caribbean aboard Royal Caribbean’s beautiful Liberty of the Seas cruise ship.
When you think about cruise ships, you may think about eating too much food and gaining weight. As a dietitian, a lot of people ask me if I ever eat desserts or other “bad” foods. Anyone who knows me, knows that the answer is definitely yes! I believe that no foods are “bad” foods and all foods can be included in a healthy diet. For me it’s about balance, and this cruise vacation was a perfect example of that.
On the Liberty of the Seas, there was mouthwatering food at every corner it seemed. Sorrento’s pizza parlor, the 5 course dining room menu, free room service, an Italian restaurant, a steak house, and of course the endless buffet. On this ship, there was even a Ben and Jerry’s and a Johnny Rockets! So there were endless choices when it came to food, and I tried them all--just not all in one day! I had several secrets for eating whatever I wanted on my cruise, while still staying healthy and not gaining a single pound!
- My first secret was to eat whatever I wanted, but to only eat when I was hungry. If I wasn’t hungry when they set up a nacho buffet by the pool, I didn’t partake in it. That let me savor my dinner even more, since I was actually hungry for it.
- My second secret was to not always go for all you can eat. I avoided the buffet, where our eyes can often get bigger than our stomachs, and opted for the beautifully presented portioned out food in the dining room instead. I enjoyed appetizers, salads, entrees and desserts that were reasonably portioned and lovely to look at. And believe me, they tasted even better than they looked!
- My third secret was to start my day off with a good breakfast. With free room service delivered right to your cabin, it was easy to eat a healthy breakfast everyday. Whole grain cereal, skim milk, a beautiful plate full of fresh fruit, and scrambled egg whites were some of my favorite breakfast-in-bed fare. Eating my regular balanced breakfast kept me on a good eating schedule and helped me not to over eat at my other meals throughout the day.
- My fourth secret was to eat some fruit or vegetables at every meal. Fresh fruits and veggies were everywhere on the ship, you could get them in the form of a fruit plate at breakfast or a grilled side of veggies at Sorrento’s pizza parlor. There were plenty of fresh bananas, apples, and oranges to grab poolside, and my personal favorite was a salad that I had one day--it was a salad without lettuce--just full of beautifully colored vegetables, such as red pepper, red onion, fennel, black olives, cucumber, tomatoes, and a red cabbage leaf. It was topped off with marinated feta cheese and a balsamic reduction--delicious!
- My fifth and final secret was that I balance all the delicious food I ate with lots of fun activity. First and foremost, I avoided the crowds and never took an elevator the entire time I was on the ship. Since our cabin was located on the 7th deck, I made a lot of trips up and down the stairs. My husband even started to join me in taking the stairs when he realized it was even faster than taking the elevator. We were constantly going up to the 11th deck where the pool was or even up the the 15th deck where we would watch the sunset. We were also going down to the 3rd floor to our dining room every night and then back up to the 4th floor to go the the fabulous shows in the theater. Then we would return to our cabin on the 7th floor every night after a fun filled day. We slashed a lot of calories walking up and down the stairs without even thinking about it. Also, the Liberty of the Seas had plenty of options for fun-filled activity! I did something different for exercise everyday. From climbing the rock wall, to ice skating, to surfing--all included on the ship--I was exercising, but having plenty of fun as well. I also enjoyed running on the treadmill in the “Ship Shape Gym” as I looked out over the ocean, taking an exercise class, and dancing or moonlight strolls with my husband on the track that encircled the ship. There was never a dull moment on the Liberty of the Seas!
So as you can see I had a blast on my Royal Caribbean cruise! And I ate whatever I wanted, enjoyed it, and didn’t even gain a pound! In fact, I think my husband even came back a few pounds lighter as he got to enjoy a much more active week than his daily desk job normally allows! So I hope I have inspired you to have fun, stay healthy, and to “get out there” as they say on Royal Caribbean!